[U-Boot] Subject line tag differences "U-Boot-Users vs. U-Boot" between the two U-Boot mailing list servers

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 8 23:43:13 CEST 2008

Dear Ken.Fuchs at bench.com,

In message <AA28F077645B324881335614E4F7C4284A49FC at win-ex01.bench.com> you wrote:
> Subject line tags in the transition to the new mailing list server:
>
> u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net generates [U-Boot-Users].
> u-boot at lists.denx.de generates a [U-Boot].

That's intentional, as the new  list's  name  is  "u-boot"  (and  not
"u-boot-users"  any more. I felt the "-users" part was wrong, as this
list is at least as much intended for developers.

> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
> Messages with just [U-Boot-Users] in the subject line implies it
> was handled by u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net.  If this is
> the case, let the SF server handle the thread to completion!

This is not necessary. Threading should continue to work even when you
continue on the new list. Same holds for the archive, I hope (but this
has not been recovered yet).

> This is an implication of the sentence "Please post new messages
> only to the new mailing list address".

Actually it means what it says.

> Messages with both [U-Boot-Users] and [U-Boot] in the subject line
> implies it was handled by both by u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> and later handled by u-boot at lists.denx.de.  Such messages should have
> stayed on the u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net to completion.

NO, this should be avoided. Please STOP posting to the SF list!

> Never send messages to both servers simultaneously.  Everyone on the
> mailing list may get duplicate messages as a result.

Do not send messages to the old list any more, please.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Let the programmers be many and the managers few -- then all will  be
productive.               -- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"