[U-Boot] granularity of bootm subcommands

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Aug 9 01:08:51 CEST 2008

Dear Jerry Van Baren,

In message <489C7A65.50709 at ge.com> you wrote:

> Wolfgang advocated supporting the old parser.  Personally, I'm OK with
> requiring hush in order to enable the New Improved bootm behavior and
> leaving users of the old parser with the old bootm (arrrr, more
> #ifdefs).  I'm not sure we can get to a reasonable state without /some/
> hush conditionals.
>
> I think it would be foolish to cripple or kill a bootm refactor simply
> because we were unwilling to require hush.

I think that the default boot behaviour will not need *any* shell
commands, because we can implement this easily in C function calls.

It is just when a user wants to redefine boot behaviour that the shell
interface comes into play, and then it's the user's decision if he has
simple needs that can be implemented with the old parser, or if he
needs more scripting capabilities and has to enable hush.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Things that try to look like things often do look  more  like  things
than things. Well-known fact.       - Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_