[U-Boot] U-Boot and UBI

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Aug 11 14:13:05 CEST 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:18:53 +0900
"Kyungmin Park" <kmpark at infradead.org> wrote:

> Dear Josh,
>
> First thank you for announcing UBI support on U-boot.
>
> Actually the Samsung implemented the UBI support on U-boot already and
> has used it internally. The big difference is the code base. It's
> based on kernel UBI code. Yes it's not fit well to u-boot ecosystem so
> it created the ubi wrapper for u-boot.

Interesting.

> I saw your source codes and ubi commands. I think it supports minimal
> features of UBI, no volume create, remove, read/write and so on like
> these.

That is correct.  Simple scan and static volume read support are
present in the code base I pushed out.  That was all the project we
were doing really required in U-Boot at the time.

> u-boot $ help ubi
> ubi info [l[ayout]] - Display volume and ubi layout information
> ubi create[vol] volume [size] [type] - create volume name with size
> ubi write[vol] address volume size - Write volume from address with size
> ubi read[vol] address volume [size] - Read volume to address with size
> ubi remove[vol] volume - Remove volume
> [Legends]
>  volume: character name
>  size: KiB, MiB, GiB, and bytes
>  type: s[tatic] or d[ynamic] (default=dynamic)
>
> I want to know what's the better way if there are two code bases.
>
> Please give any options and comments

If your code base is more feature complete, it is certainly worth
looking at.  Particularly if it is for a newer version of U-Boot.

josh