[U-Boot] Subject line tag differences "U-Boot-Users vs. U-Boot" between the two U-Boot mailing list servers

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 11 18:02:27 CEST 2008

Dear Ken.Fuchs at bench.com,

In message <AA28F077645B324881335614E4F7C4284A4A00 at win-ex01.bench.com> you wrote:

> A mailing list server typically only archives messages that it
> actually serves, so a separate archiving server subscribed to

Typically. Assume that the mailing list archive on list.denx.de will
include the old archives from SF, too. It doesn't yet, but it will.

> both lists would be needed to ensure entire threads are archived
> together whose messages have been split between the u-boot-users
> and u-boot mailing list servers.

> > > This is an implication of the sentence "Please post new
> > > messages only to the new mailing list address".
>
> > Actually it means what it says.
>
> It doesn't necessarily mean what you thought it meant:

I though it to mean what it says it means :-)

> It says "new" messages implying that non-new messages can be posted

Non-new messages would mean to re-send old messages - that its
obviously is pretty stupid thing to do.

> as well (A valid interpretation of a new message is a message with
> a _new_ topic/subject, starting a _new_ thread; a valid

No. A new message is a new message, independent of any thread it
belongs to, wheter this may be an old, existing thread r a new one.

> interpretation of non-new messages is responses to old messages).

I strongly disagree. You have to send a new message to respond to an
old one.

> The new mailing list server is perhaps broken in the same way as
> the old server:
>
> Your response to my post was sent directly to me without the
> [U-Boot] tag in the subject line.  My Mailman profile is

What makes you think the mailing list server is to blame for that? If
I send a message to you, with the list on cc:, the list server has no
chance of interfering with the message I send to you.

> configured such that the server must send all mailing list
> messages to me despite my address already being in a To or CC
> header.  However, the old server didn't do this and neither
> does the new server.

Are you absolutely sure that the list server is doing this? And not
your own mail server on your receiving end?

> Has anyone else experienced this same problem with the new server?

None that I know of.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Brain fried - Core dumped