[U-Boot] __attribute__((__packed__)) switching to byte-access on ARM

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 11 18:06:30 CEST 2008

Dear Guennadi Liakhovetski,

In message <Pine.LNX.4.64.0808111737330.30591 at axis700.grange> you wrote:

> As I remarked in the opening email to the SMDK6400 patch-series, I've got
> a strange problem, I cannot understand.

What exactly is your problem?

> which converts all accesses to the structure to 8-bit... Ideas? Toolchain
> eldk-4.1. U-Boot from nand/testing git with the patches I just sent to the
> list, configured for smdk6400_config.

Note that you did not exactly ask a question, you just describe  your
observations so we have to guess what might be puzzeling you. I think
that  some  people  with  more ARM experience than me will simply not
understand what you are asking about, because they are  used  to  GCC
turning  perfectly  valid  looking 32 bit accesses into a sequence of
four 8 bit accesses.

They consider this "normal".

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PURCHASERS: The Entire Physical Universe,  Inclu-
ding  This Product, May One Day Collapse Back into an Infinitesimally
Small Space. Should  Another  Universe  Subsequently  Re-emerge,  the
Existence of This Product in That Universe Cannot Be Guaranteed.