[U-Boot] [feature request] make TAGS target

Guennadi Liakhovetski lg at denx.de
Tue Aug 12 11:27:27 CEST 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Guennadi,
>
> In message <Pine.LNX.4.64.0808121020430.8089 at axis700.grange> you wrote:
> >
> > This looks at least as an inconsistency: the TAGS file is removed on "make
> > distclean", but there is no "make TAGS" target. The easiest would be to
>
> There are "tags", "ctags", "etags" and "cscope" make targets.

Ah, ok, so, it is called "etags", not "TAGS" as in Linux.

> > remove removing TAGS, but better yet would be adding the target to build
> > this file, taking into account the configured architecture, include/asm,
> > for ARM also include/asm/arch, and maybe even cpu/..., lib_..., and board/
> > paths? Maybe one of u-boot Kbuild / Makefile gurus could implement this in
> > their spare time?:-) I even can imagine, that some of us might want the
> > "tags" file too, and I wouldn't mind adding this target too:-) Yes, kernel
> > has these targets.
>
> What exactly is not working for you when you run "make tags", for
> example ?

First, at least my emacs looks by default for a file called TAGS, not
etags. Second, IMHO, it would be better to only tag files under respective
include paths according to configuration, as in Linux. Currently include/
is tagged completely. Thirdly, I think, it should be possible to use
either "find ... | xargs etags" or "rm -f TAGS; find ... -exec etags -a {}
\;" to secure ourselves for the time we get too many files.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.