[U-Boot] nand_spl/nand_boot.c: why can't we do anything on ECC error?

Jens Gehrlein sew_s at tqs.de
Wed Aug 13 19:03:25 CEST 2008

Hi,

in nand_spl/nand_boot.c in function nand_read_page() one can read the
comment in the case of ECC errors:
"No chance to do something with the possible error message from
correct_data(). We just hope that all possible errors are corrected by
this routine."

Why can't we do anything? If an uncorrectable error has been recognized,
we could at least execute an endless loop or issue a reset. Depending on
the bit errors and their location in the U-Boot image, U-Boot may though
boot and a runtime error could probably appear never or later or only
under special circumtances. Because this is a risk (the image is
corrupted), what do you think of inserting some blocking functionality?

Or did I missed something in interpreting this code?

Kind regards,
Jens