[U-Boot] RFA: libfdt: using missing type uintptr_t

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 02:40:27 CEST 2008

Hello all,  I have a Request For Advice.

I've pulled down the dtc/libfdt updates and applied them to my personal
working git repository.  It turns out that David Gibson added a use of
the typedef "uintptr_t" found in linux-land in /usr/include/stdint.h.

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc64.devel/43379>

The problem is, currently u-boot doesn't have stdint.h.  It looks like
we have three options:
1) Hack in the typedef for uintptr_t into "libfdt_env.h"
2) Add the linux stdint.h to u-boot
3) Find an alternative for uintptr_t and convince David and Jon that it
is A Better Thing to use.

As I see it, #3 is extremely unlikely, especially since David is using
uintptr_t for exactly the purpose for which it was created.  #1 is,
well, a hack.  #2 (add linux' stdint.h to u-boot) seems like the best
approach, but my initial try caused redefinitions between stdint.h and
types.h as well as missing files:
   #include <features.h>
   #include <bits/wchar.h>
   #include <bits/wordsize.h>
Sigh.

At this point, adding stdint.h seems to be the best option.  Anybody
have a better approach?

Thanks,
gvb