[U-Boot] FW: U-boot for Arm cortexA8

Menon, Nishanth x0nishan at ti.com
Fri Aug 22 15:49:02 CEST 2008

Hi Jean,

If we are speaking of u-boot v2 support, there are tons of opportunities:
a) Coherent ARM architecture which can scale across to all modes.. The tiny patch I had done merely handled one part of the problem - of caches.. There are possibly more opportunities such as:
    i) Organization of ARM code to make it cleanly pluggable and add further features.
    ii) Optimizations where possible -> bitops etc..
    iii) Compiler optimizations and improvements of Makefile
b) Beagle is not the only OMAP3 board around.. There is Zoom MDK, SDP3430, Pandora and many more -> A8 support is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of opportunities.

By the way, U-boot v2 has two platforms with OMAP3 -> SDP3430 and beagle - both have A8 on them.

Speaking specifically about OMAP3 with A8 and beagle support for u-boot v1, Sakoman, Dirk among others have been working on a git branch[1] which could finally move in to mainline tree in the future..

If you are specifically interested in playing/developing with beagle with CortexA8 on a OMAP3530, - just checkout beagleboard.org - if nothing, just the cost might surprise you.

Regards,
Nishanth Menon

[1] http://www.sakoman.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot-omap3.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/common