[U-Boot] Question about FIT images with uboot 1.3.4 (solved)

Remy Bohmer linux at bohmer.net
Mon Aug 25 12:47:58 CEST 2008

Hello All,

> I know the image itself is correct. mkimage -l shows correct
> information, but when copied to the target, the target detects a FIT
> header but complains that it cannot find the description section.
> Legacy images work properly.
> Tomorrow I will hook up the debugger and get this problem tackled.

Finally I got the problem tracked down. It was very stupid (as always)
but the reason why FIT-images did not work here, was because the last
bytes of the image were overwritten by downloading the ram drive
image. The legacy uImage just fit in the 3MB memory space, and the FIT
image just did not. (it is quite big, because I use an uncompressed
kernel)
So, moving up the ramdrive image to a higher address solved this problem...
Keeps worth mentioning that the FIT error message (no description
found) had put me completely in the wrong direction...

For convenience, I also have a kernel patch here that allows the
kernel to build a FIT image immediately while building the uImage.

I will post that on LKML soon.

Kind Regards,

Remy