[U-Boot] [patch 2/2] Add support for building the new U-boot uImage format (FIT-format)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 25 23:18:39 CEST 2008

Dear Remy,

In message <48b30a00.1701d00a.4ee8.ffffa5f7 at mx.google.com> you wrote:
> Allow building of the newer FIT-image format for U-boot, while keeping
> it possible to build the legacy format, for people who do not want to (or can)
> upgrade to U-boot 1.3.3 or newer.
>
> If an older mkimage is detected, or if there is no dtc (Device Tree Compiler)

Why should there ever be no dtc? It is part of the Linux kernel source
tree, see arch/powerpc/boot/dtc-src

> then automagically the legacy format is created.
> There is also a possibility to force the legacy format by means of a Kconfig
> option.

As before, I think this should not be implemented as a  configuration
option; it should be selectable as separate make targets without need
to reconfigure / rebuild the kernel.

> Note: This patch only adapts this for ARM, AVR32, Blackfin and sh architectures.
>       It does not adapt the PowerPC tree, because PowerPC does not use the
>       script at scripts/mkuboot.sh

Hm... Power support would be especially interesting, of course :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Without facts, the decision cannot be made logically. You  must  rely
on your human intuition.
	-- Spock, "Assignment: Earth", stardate unknown