[U-Boot] reinitialize peripherals

vb vb at vsbe.com
Wed Aug 27 06:25:45 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Fundu <fundu_1999 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a PPC440GX based board.
>
> Do I need to reinitialize Peripheral Bank Configuration Registers (EBC0_B0CR-EBC0_B7CR) from the kernel ?
> I'm quite sure that we don't, but just want to make sure. Because the problem
> that i'm seeing strongly suggest that something isn't initializing.
>
> Here's the problem i'm getting a kernel "kernel access of bad
>  area" when i erase flash region, surprisingly i can easily erase it from u-boot. which makes me ask the earlier question.

The problem is that the kernel needs to ioremap the areas you are
trying to access (this includes flash, BTW). How it gets the
information about the address ranges is the tricky part: it comes from
the device tree, (unless you are building your kernel from arch/ppc).
There are a lot of examples in arch/powerpc/boot/dts.

Also, keep in mind that on ppc460  (I am not sure if 440gx is the
same, but it might be) the addresses of  the peripherals driven by CSs
have nonzero nibble in four MSBs of the 36 bit address, so phys_addr_t
is 64 bits in size.

good luck.
/vb