[U-Boot] how to support usbtty

mike zheng mail4mz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:20:58 CEST 2008

I am using an embedded system with MPC8567 as processor and ISP1561 as
USB PCI host controller. There is USB port on this board. A sealevel
USB/RS232 cable is connect to the USB port on the board, and it
converts USB port into RS232 port. A PC is connected to the RS232 end
of the cable.

With "CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO" flag enabled, I compiled the Linux
kernel. Everything works fine, I am able to launch the hyperterminal
on PC and have the console running for Linux.

Now I need make things working for Uboot. I've already have the EHCI
host controller running well on the board.

Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect. What I need to do
is to port the FTDI_SIO driver from Linux to Uboot, which replace
those "udc" calls in usbtty.c. With the ported FTDI_SIO code and
existing usbtty.c. It shall work fine after correct setup of the
environment variables - "setenv stdin usbtty, setenv stdout usbtty".

Or is there any other solution for me? I don't have to use the
USB-RS232 cable. I just need the Uboot console from USB port.

Thanks,