[U-Boot] BUG: hang with an empty flash (due to recent bootm changes) bisected

Ira Snyder iws at ovro.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 28 01:28:07 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 01:04:17AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Ira Snyder,
>
> In message <20080827225557.GB10692 at ovro.caltech.edu> you wrote:
> >
> > => printenv bootcmd
> > bootcmd=run flash_self
> > => printenv flash_self
> > flash_self=run ramargs addip addtty;bootm ${kernel_addr} ${ramdisk_addr}
> > => printenv ramargs addip addtty kernel_addr ramdisk_addr
> > ramargs=setenv bootargs root=/dev/ram rw
> > addip=setenv bootargs ${bootargs}
> > ip=${ipaddr}:${serverip}:${gatewayip}:${netmask}:${hostname}:${netdev}:off panic=1
> > addtty=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} console=ttyS0,${baudrate}
> > ## Error: "kernel_addr" not defined
> > ## Error: "ramdisk_addr" not defined
>
> Ummm... with both "kernel_addr" and "ramdisk_addr" not defined,  your
> boot command looks like this:
>
> 	run ramargs addip addtty;bootm
>
> i.e. U-Boot tries to locate an image  at  the  default  addreess  (in
> RAM),  which  probably  contains  random data. Random input => random
> behaviour ?

That makes sense, of course. However, it seems pretty unfriendly that a
board with a blank flash (other than the bootloader) will lock up if you
don't press a key in time. The old behavior was much nicer, in my
opinion. At least I could reset the board and then walk away, rather
than run to my desktop and press a key on the serial port.

I'm sure there's plenty of other people who just boot over the network,
rather than flashing images all the time.

Maybe the default bootcmd should be something like:
echo 'No boot command selected'

Lets see what Kumar has to say.
Ira