[U-Boot] U-Boot Versioning

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 00:46:37 CEST 2008

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after some discussions in the past I propose to use the following
> numbering scheme for future releases of U-Boot (starting with the
> upcoming one):
>
> * Regular releases (about once every two months or so) shall be named
>   "YYYY.MM" with YYYY = year as 4 digits, MM = month (01..12)
>
>   In other words:
>   	VERSION = year as 4 digits
> 	PATCHLEVEL = month as 2 digits
>
>   That means the upcoming release, which is scheduled for October
>   2008, would be named "2008.10".

Sounds good to me, although I have a hard time imagining needing four
levels.  "Be prepared" I guess.  ;-)

[snip]

> Are there any important arguments against this versioning scheme ?

Not from me.

Of course, we need silly alphabetical animal names for "code names."
No, wait, that's been done before.  I know!  We can use u-boat names for
the code names.  We can start with the code name "Unterseeboot 1."
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U-boats>

;-P

> Best regards,
> Wolfgang Denk