[U-Boot] U-Boot Versioning

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Aug 30 01:15:53 CEST 2008

Dear Leon,

In message <c384c5ea0808291553l21e00c6eg37f229cea0112be1 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > * Intermediate releases, that might become necessary because of
> >  serious bugs or other major problems, shall be indicated by
> >  incrementing the "SUBLEVEL" field.
> From experience with other open-source projects:
>
> I would remove this level, and use the third level for stable branch
> bugfixes releases instead.

This was my original intention, too. But there were a couple of people
asking for ways to do hot fix releases if things were terribly broken.

> It is very unlikely to release feature-upgrade releases within one month/

Not feature upgrades; urgent bug fixes.

Frankly, I don't think that we need more than the regular, plain
releases. But some of us are customer-driven, so both stable trees and
bug fix releases may become necessary, and the suggested scheme allows
for both.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Q: What do you get when you cross an ethernet with an income statement?
A: A local area networth.