[U-Boot-Users] ramdisk problem (once again?)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Feb 13 00:07:05 CET 2008

In message <47B2202A.7000807 at gandalf.sssup.it> you wrote:

> > The kernel.org tree does not recognize  a  ramdisk  image  in  flash.
> > Patches  have  been posted here since 2.4.17 times, but never made it
> > upstream. See the archives ...
> >
> If you want to use it, put in ram before... Regards Michael

yesm that's the status quo - but it's plain stupid. Why  add  another
memory  copy of megabytes of data, when the kernel will just read the
data, uncompres it and write it to some  (other)  RAM  location?  The
flash  is mapped anyway (normally), so it just has to check if it's a
RAM or flash address to decide if it should free that  area  or  not.
That's a tiny patch, actually.

It's on the same line with the ARM kernel  always  bringing  with  it
it's  own  decompressor  code - why do we have to copy this with each
and every image when we already have a working copy of that  code  in
U-Boot?

Well, let the PTB for ARM answer this...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The C-shell doesn't parse. It adhoculates.
    - Casper.Dik at Holland.Sun.COM in <3ol96k$b2j at engnews2.Eng.Sun.COM>