[U-Boot-Users] AT91 Bootstrap in U-boot

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Thu Feb 14 17:36:37 CET 2008

Ulf Samuelson wrote:

>> There are no Atmel AT91SAM9 dev boards which uses a parallel flash.

> This is not quite true.  I'm able to boot a AT91SAM9263-EK board via EBI
> NOR flash and an AT91Bootstrap/Atmel modified U-Boot right now.  Did I
> misunderstand your statement above?

If you check the schematics, you will find "not mounted" on the 4 MB parallel flash.
I doubt that there has been any significant number of  AT91SAM9 kits shipped with this mounted.

The original question was why AT91bootstrap was not ported to U-boot,
and the focus from the S/W group is on dataflash and NAND flash support.
This is also what most customers (that I know of) are using.

> One needs only to solder an appropriate EBI NOR chip to the
> AT91SAM9263-EK board and install the BMS jumper to allow parallel flash
> booting.  Unfortunately, the boards in the AT91SAM9260-EK and
> AT91SAM9261-EK can't support an EBI NOR flash due to intentional design
> limitations.

They can, by adding a PCB to the EBI connector.
There has been some progress here on the S/W side,
but I am still waiting for the release.

> Sincerely,

> Ken Fuchs

Best Regards