[U-Boot-Users] Delete all env vars except read onlys

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 15 17:40:10 CET 2008

Uff....

After a longish  discussion  with  Detlev  we  came  up  with  a  new
proposal,  which  hopefully  is  acceptable  to all. We agreed that a
command name like "clearenv" or "scrubenv" or similar (which  doesn't
require  any  arguments) might be too dangerous for the unexperienced
user why randomly types commands "just  to  see  what  happens".  For
example,  even  if you type "erase" it will not do any damage because
arguments are missing - but "erase all" will blow away most  of  your
flash content without asking.

So the idea is to call the new command "environment" (or short "env");
usage would be then:

	=> env clear

to clear the envrionment (except read-only variables); thsi also
allows for pretty useful additional functionality like this:

	=> env default

to reset the environment to the (compiled in) default settings.

One might even consider something like

	=> env clear all

to blow away the whole env, including the read-only variables.

Would that be acceptable to everybody?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"There is such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
- David St. Hubbins, "Spinal Tap"