[U-Boot-Users] Au1550 U-boot debugging - a newbie question

RadekFisera jungelist at centrum.cz
Mon Feb 18 15:37:39 CET 2008

Hi everybody,
I'd like to exploit U-boot as a linux bootloader on the board with Au1550
(128MB RAM, 64MB NOR flash). So I put necessary files in /board/<my_board>
subdir, adjusted Makefile and successfully created binary image in my build
directory. I use crosstooll from ELDK 4.1. I have BDI2000 at disposal also.

When I program the bin file to the flash (at 0xbfc00000) and run from this
address the bootloader always hangs at 0xbfc0054c (romExcHandle in start.S).
I can debug the code via BDI2000 and therefore I see that the code fails at
the begining of board_init_f function where the rellocation to RAM is
performed.
I have some troubles also with remote debugging via gdb. I always receive
the SIGABRT when the debug pointer reaches the first instruction in start.S.

# ${CROSS_COMPILE}gdb /var/tmp/builds/u-boot
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.21_3rh)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i386-redhat-linux --target=mips-linux".
The target architecture is set automatically (currently mips)
..
(gdb) set endian little
The target is assumed to be little endian
(gdb) target remote bdi2000:2001
Remote debugging using bdi2000:2001
_start () at start.S:41
41              RVECENT(reset,0)        /* U-boot entry point */
Current language:  auto; currently asm
(gdb) stepi

reset () at start.S:211
211             mtc0    zero, CP0_WATCHLO

I can set breakpoint however it is not reached although it is set in the
code before the function board_init_f. I can see the message on the BDI2000
telnet session window:
*** TARGET: all hardware breakpoints in use
I tried to clear all breakpoints after each program stop but it didn't help.

I suspect that there are some wrong settings in
/include/configs/<my_board>.h . My settings:
#define CFG_SDRAM_BASE		0x80000000
#define	CFG_MONITOR_BASE	TEXT_BASE
#define	CFG_MONITOR_LEN		(192 << 10)
#define CFG_INIT_SP_OFFSET	0x10000000