[U-Boot-Users] watchdog usage in U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 21 17:51:07 CET 2008

In message <47BD8EC3.14413.6591E84 at w.wegner.astro-kom.de> you wrote:

> I want to use the watchdog in my MCF5373L board (which is
> supported by U-Boot using the MCF532x code). I find
> watchdog_init and so on but I did not see any of these being
> called anywhere from within U-Boot. However, when enabling

How did you search? You might want to do  a  case-insensitive  search
for watchdog_init and watchdog_reset. There is some CPP trickery
involved.

> >From other posts I found some things that I would like to state
> as assumptions, please correct me if any of these is wrong
>
> - watchdog is not initialized by default, has to be done by
>   board-specific code

Wrong, INIT_FUNC_WATCHDOG_INIT get's called by global init code -  at
least   on   the   architectures  where  watchdog  support  has  been
implemented. For reference, please see the PPC code.

> - watchdog servicing (reset the counter) is also not done
>   by default - has to be done by board-specific code

Wrong, this is being done globally.

> - I saw a patch by Wolfgang that splits udelay, but did not
>   see how the watchdog_reset is handled by this? Where
>   is this done?

Search watchdog_reset ignoring case so you will find for example
INIT_FUNC_WATCHDOG_RESET as well...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Have you lived in this village all your life?"        "No, not yet."