[U-Boot-Users] Pull request u-boot-blackfin.git

Haavard Skinnemoen hskinnemoen at atmel.com
Sun Feb 24 01:35:05 CET 2008

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:07:22 -0500
Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:

> > That's why we do incremental improvements so that you can separate the
> > fixes from the other stuff and submit them even if there isn't a merge
> > window open.
>
> it's already been done

Then how come you're still trying to push 400k changesets outside the
merge window?

> my understanding was that all commands go in common/.  there's plenty of
> arch-specific commands in there already.

I still think it's wrong...although if there's an existing consensus
that all commands go under common/, I'm not going to argue further
against it.

> > Second, the SPI driver that broke the tree for almost four weeks was
> > optional and ppc-specific. Have you run tests on all architectures so
> > that you can be 100% sure that you're not breaking anything this late
> > in the release cycle?
>
> i make my things conditionally compiled (see the Makefile).  so yes, i'm 100%
> sure i'm not breaking anyone.  if you add the CONFIG_xxx to your board
> config, well that's your fault ;).

Famous last words ;)

I take it you're absolutely sure that the new CONFIG_xxx symbols aren't
already being used anywhere?

> > Your tree touches common code
>
> Blackfin-specific pieces of common code ... there's a difference

Isn't that a contradiction? If it's blackfin-specific, it can't really
be common, can it?

And are you sure that the commands cannot be reworked to be usable on
other architectures as well? That sort of thing might come out of a
review, you know...

> > you're asking for it to be merged
> > without any review at all. I don't think that's a good idea.
>
> i'm asking for the Blackfin pieces to be merged regardless of "merge window".
> i'm making no requests wrt review.  Wolfgang wants it reviewed first -- i'm
> fine with that.  complaining that Blackfin changes are going in that
> arent "pure fixes" i dont care about (right now).

Ok, I'm not all that concerned about the Blackfin stuff. But I think
that, at a minimum, the stuff under common/ and drivers/ should be
posted for review, and the stuff under driver/net should preferably go
in through the Networking custodian.

Haavard