[U-Boot-Users] mpc83xx and multiple flash banks.

Richard Parsons RParsons at cbnl.com
Mon Feb 25 17:31:30 CET 2008

Hi All,

I am really almost at the end of my tether regarding a mpc8323 PPC chip
and chip selects. I have 4 flash banks on the board (all identical
strataflash on CS0->CS3) on boot the registers are configured.

If I set flash banks to 4 (include/configs/MPC8323XEMDS.H if I remember)
uboot then identifies the first bank as 16MB.. but fails the next 3
banks. After some digging the README states that C0000000(?) and some
other addresses are set up as PRELIM chip selects and the PPC local bus
memory locations and windows are set AFTER the flash chip is detected.
Unless I got it all wrong, this does not happen.  Neither does it remap
the Memory window after flash has been detected.

After setting the CFG_FLASH_BANKS_LIST { } and setting BR0/1, OR0/1 ,
BAR0/1 and AR0/1 registers it gets the QRY for the Strataflash, but then
uboot catches a PPC trap and resets. After some mangling (setting Flash
bank count to 1) and booting U-boot without an error... Bank0 responds
as expected using the MD command (memory locations 0xfe000000 ->
0xfeffffff are all readable)

But the same commands on Flash bank 1 after the 2Megabyte barrier cause
the PPC to trap.
0xf0000000 -> 0xf01fffff are all readable... but 1 byte over that and it
PPC traps.

I have read and re-read the spec... but something is biting me. Can
anyone throw me a bone to chase :P I am at a loss why the memory window
is only getting to 2MB although I have set to beyond 16MB  (LBLAWAR
0x80000018)
I have disables all other chip select code segments in the config file
and only BR0/1 AR0/1 are being set. (all others are zero)

Anyone help me out?

Best Regards,
Richard

Cambridge Broadband Networks Limited

Registered in England and Wales under company number: 03879840
Registered office: Selwyn House, Cambridge Business Park, Cowley Road, Cambridge CB4 0WZ, UK.
VAT number: GB 741 0186 64

This email and any attachments are private and confidential. If you believe you have received this email in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Cambridge Broadband Networks Limited cannot accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the individual sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Cambridge Broadband Networks Limited.