[U-Boot-Users] Regarding Dcache Flush in MPC85xx

Fowley, Douglas G (GE Infra, Energy) Douglas.Fowley at ge.com
Tue Feb 26 20:48:51 CET 2008

> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 23:00:17 +0530
> From: "s.balamurugan" <s.balamurugan at gdatech.co.in>
> Subject: [U-Boot-Users] Regarding Dcache Flush in MPC85xx
> To: u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Hi,
> We are using MPC8555 processor and uboot 1.1.4 both the uboot
> and linux
> was up. Now we plan to port QNX, we are facing following issues.
>
> 1. Qnx is not jumping to the startup location.  After giving
> go command
> control is still in the uboot only.
>
> 2.  When searching in the mailling list we came to know qnx
> required to
> flush the Data Cache before disabling it in the uboot level
> (common/cmd_bootelf.c line no:59)
>
> 3.  I checked other powerpc architecture like 7xx/74xx, 86xx and 4xx.
> These architecture  has seperate cache.S file (
> cpu/mpc86xx/cache.S). That
> file contains flush_data_cache function to flush the cache before
> disabling it. But in the MPC85xx flushing the data cache was missing.
>
> 4. This is a bug in the 85xx uboot code. Is there any work
> arround for
> this?
>
> Thanks and Regards
> S.Balamurugan

Hi S.Balamurugan,

I've worked around U-Boot's data cache issue when booting to QNX in a
couple of ways:

1. Configure the cache commands into U-Boot and run the "dcache off"
command before jumping to QNX, or
2. Add code to the QNX startup module that turns off & unlocks the data
cache.

Contact me directly if you want help with #2.

Regards,

Doug