[U-Boot-Users] /* inside comment in libfdt.h

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Wed Jan 2 14:49:38 CET 2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 14:13, Jerry Van Baren wrote:

C++ style comments inside comments are no comments :-)

I could life with //, but if people do cut'n'paste we get //
in our code - and 'ubooties' know not to use C++ style comments.

When the original source uses //, we should keep that in order to stay
in sync with that code. If the U-Boot community will start to stone
us, the solution is ....

Wolfgang, do you accept the change back to //?

Matthias

> Yes, nested comments is something that should not be done and should be
> fixed.  This was inherited from the original code, although the current
> version uses // for the embedded comment which avoids the issue (but
> causes "no C++ comments" people to break out in rashes).
>
> <http://jdl.com/git_repos/?p=dtc.git;a=blob;f=libfdt/libfdt.h;h=ac0f5c3d1b41a1f6a8a5637a11d3ae4b9b6e6ed4;hb=3e516d961a45a2a410a9dc8f61fbdd62641b5ca0#l547>
>
> Hmm, interesting, the original appears to have always used //, so it
> would appear that we (u-booties) did the change to /* */.
> <http://jdl.com/git_repos/?p=dtc.git;a=commitdiff;h=53acf491e9d576519f97b62984762498f9453cb4>
> I'll have to look at this further.
>
> My inclination is to change to embedded // comments to avoid drifting
> from the original due to aesthetics rather than due to necessary
> functionality differences.
>
> The alternative would be to convince David Gibson (/jdl) to adopt the
> ...other code here... change.  I prefer the ... change if it matters -
> if somebody blindly cuts and pastes the example code, it won't compile
> until he understands and edits what he pasted.
>
> Thanks,
> gvb

Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Fuchs             esd electronic system design gmbh
http://www.esd-electronics.com                    Vahrenwalder Str. 207
phone: +49-511-37298-0, fax: -68                30165 Hannover, Germany