[U-Boot-Users] /* inside comment in libfdt.h

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Thu Jan 3 20:47:11 CET 2008

Jon Loeliger wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 07:13, Jerry Van Baren wrote:
>
>> Yes, nested comments is something that should not be done and should be
>> fixed.  This was inherited from the original code, although the current
>> version uses // for the embedded comment which avoids the issue (but
>> causes "no C++ comments" people to break out in rashes).
>>
>> <http://jdl.com/git_repos/?p=dtc.git;a=blob;f=libfdt/libfdt.h;h=ac0f5c3d1b41a1f6a8a5637a11d3ae4b9b6e6ed4;hb=3e516d961a45a2a410a9dc8f61fbdd62641b5ca0#l547>
>
> Woah, hey!  That's me!
>
> Uh...

Stop.  Take a deep breath.  It really wasn't you, just had your
fingerprints because you touched it last.  I referenced your repository
as the convenient/canonical repository for dtc/libfdt.

[snip]

> Oh man....
>
> OK.  For the record, I'm all for only comments like this:
>
>     /*
>      *
>      */
>
> Clearly lax, I'll start enforcing it on the DTC sources more.
>
> Sorry.
>
> jdl

FWIIW, the misdeed was the sample code embedded inside the comment had a
(sample) commented line "// add code here" which was done with a C++ //
comment so that it didn't run afoul of the C compiler's no nested
comments rule.  A certain dignitary who breaks out in a rash when he
sees // comments made a "trivial" change to a /* */ comment, which then
caused the C compiler to throw a hissy fit because it now *was* a nested
comment.

All in all, a comedy of good intentions.  No Code Was Harmed(R) in the
making of this patch sequence.

HTH,
gvb

(R)