[U-Boot-Users] Re garding EEPROM Boot

Andy Fleming afleming at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 03:22:54 CET 2008

On 12/12/07, sivaji <rameshmrm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hai,
>           We have designed MPC8548 based AMC card. We are using
> u-boot-1.2.0
> and it was up. Now we plan to boot the uboot in the EEPROM without using
> FLASH. Is it possible to boot the uboot in the EEPROM ?.  We are using
> AT24C64C EEPROM(64KB) and it was configured as Extended I2C addressing
> mode.

In addition to David's comments about the EEPROM being only 8K, I'm doubtful
that u-boot on the 8548 can fit even in 64k.  The typical build makes it
512k, though I think the actual code size is closer to 150K.  I think 8k
would require some sort of magic.

IIRC, the EEPROM can contain a configuration sequence, and then a data blob
to copy somewhere, which is then executed.  If you want that to be u-boot,
you'll need a bigger EEPROM.  Otherwise, you need to write a boot loader.
Is there a reason you don't want to boot from Flash?  I'm not familiar with
that use case.

Andy