[U-Boot-Users] [U-boot-Users][GIT PULL] Please pull coldfire tree

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 10 01:13:36 CET 2008

Dear Tsi Chung,

in message <4791E710007FEB4BBF83775D787F462F05CC6132 at az33exm22.fsl.freescale.net> you wrote:
> >Your repository contains a lot of patches that have never been
> > posted on the mailing list before. Especially changes that affect
> > global files like the ones marked below *must* be reviewed on the >
> list *before* you send a pull request.
>
> >   Makefile                              |   84 ++
> >   drivers/pci/pci_auto.c                |    6 +
> >   drivers/usb/usb_ohci.c                |    1 +
>
> The changes to the makefile (same as README, MAKEALL, etc) is that we
> have four new platforms added - M5373EVB, M52277EVB, M5475EVB and
> M5485EVB. Also, added a dma folder under drivers. (libdma.a in Makefile

Yes, but you did not add simple targets, but complicated multi-line
script stuff. Are you sure that would have passed a review
uncommented? I am not so sure...

> There is no general routine to skip pci host bridge in pci_auto.c, so
> added CONFIG_SKIPPCI_HOSTBRIDGE to bypass the host bridge. Affected
> platforms - M54455EVB, M5475EVB, M5485EVB and Alaska8220 if patch is not
> applied.

No matter how obvious this seems to be to you, the rule is  that  ALL
changes  shall be posted for review on the mailing list *before* they
go into the public tree, i. e. before the custodian calls for a pull.

> Originally, I thought the merge is going to close tomorrow. I did it in
> a rush without posted on the mailing list. Until you sent out an email

This is no excuse. If the deadline is  close,  you  miss  that  merge
window.  Period. You must always post your patches, and you must give
the people on  the  mailing  list  sufficient  time  to  review  your
changes.

> today about extend the window til 17. And, sorry to hear about the
> network problem at your home.

Heh, that's solved for now, and in less than one week we'll have a new
provider. Bye Telekom!

> These patches do not affect globally, except files in dma that need to
> add #ifdef ... #endif in each .c file.

I disagree. You do change global files, and I  probably  will  object
against  some  of the changes, and others might have to say a word or
two, too.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
G's Third Law:             In spite of all evidence  to  the  contra-
ry,  the  entire  universe  is composed of only two basic substances:
magic and bullshit.
H's Dictum:                There is no magic ...