[U-Boot-Users] problems with CRC in fw_printenv and fw_setenv utility and use

Markus Klotzbücher mk at denx.de
Mon Jan 14 09:00:24 CET 2008

u-boot user <aparna_badve at yahoo.com> writes:

> I have built the binary fw_printenv by using mtd-user.h from mtd-utils on
> the internet as it fw_printenv won't compile it without using that
> file. So

So you're obviously not using the newest version of U-Boot, what you
should. Make sure to read the updated README in tools/env/.

> I have used mtd-user.h and mtd-abi.h. The contents of my configuration file
> are
> # MTD device name       Device offset   Env. size       Flash sector size
> /dev/mtd1               0x0000          0x4000          0x4000

Is this in /etc/ ?

> When I run fw_printenv  it complained with error Warning : Bad CRC using
> default environment in env_init function in fw_env.c source code. To gain a
> better understanding I print the value crc1 calculated using
> crc32(0,environment.data,ENV_SIZE).  The value it prints is CRC
> computed:FE641197
> If I print the environment.crc value it is D0CA8A0E. As the checksum values
> are different crc1_ok is not set and I get the error. Any clue as to why
> these values would be different?

Probably some mismatch between the information in your config file and
the real environment. Where is you're environment located in flash? Is
your mtd partitioning right? What does

$ cat /proc/mtd

show?

> When I use the fw_setenv utility to set an environment variable it gives the
> following errors
> Writing CRC value to flash: D0C78567
> Unlocking flash...
> Other dev values are: 0
> Current dev value: 0
> Done
> Erasing old environment...
> MTD erase error on /dev/mtd1: Invalid argument
> Error: can't write fw_env to flash

Weird. I would guess your MTD partitioning is wrong.

Best regards

Markus Klotzbuecher

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de