[U-Boot-Users] Can DHCP be used for TFTP booting?

hce webmail.hce at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 05:12:12 CET 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 9:30 AM, Ben Warren <biggerbadderben at gmail.com> wrote:

> hce wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am currently using a fixed tftp server and client IP address for
> > booting from tftp, it works fine. I am wondering if the DHCP can be
> > used or not for tftp booting, either for both TFTP server and client
> > IP address or just for client IP address? If so, could you please give
> > an example of how to config DHCP parameters in CONFIG_BOOTARGS and
> > CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND?
> >
> DHCP can be used for obtaining an IP address and also booting. My advice
> is to play with it yourself. Make sure you include CONFIG_CMD_DHCP, and
> then try "help dhcp". Sorry for the lack of hand holding, but it's the
> best way for you to learn. If you're really stuck, ask again.

I've tried to run "help dhcp", it printed out "dhcp". Nothing else I
could see. I've searched Internet to try to find a format of
CONFIG_CMD_DHCP. Yes, I am very much stuck at the moment. Could you
please point me a reference manual for DHCP boot set up as well
relavent to following issues?

What I can think of there may be two issues need to be clarified:

(1) How to set following parameters:

#define CONFIG_BOOTARGS "..... ip=dhcp?? ..."
#define CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND "setenv ipaddr dhcp ???..."
#define CONFIG_CMD_DHCP "dhcp ???"

(2) How to set DHCP for /tftpboot in /etc/exports?

All above set up are specific IP addresses currently (CONFIG_CMD_DHCP
is not set yet), I have no idea how the specific IP addresses can be
replaced by DHCP?

BTW, I am running uboot on ARM 9 processor, booting from flash.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim