[U-Boot-Users] How to patch u-boot?

Martin Krause Martin.Krause at tqs.de
Tue Jan 22 09:25:17 CET 2008

Hi Harald,

u-boot-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net wrote on :
> > The result is a fork.  IIRC, there has  been talk about unforking
> > openmoko, but that has not happened yet.
>
> I'd be very happy to do so.  However, there are several reasons why
> this is extremely difficult
>
> 1) the s3c24xx chipset family support in u-boot is minimal and
>    outdated. It only covers the s3c2400 and s3c2410, and even those
>    only partially In order to make it support the s3c2410, s3c2440,
>    s3c2442, I had to do some extensive re-work.  Since there seems to
>    be nobody who cares a lot about that family of chips (most
>    products based on them,  even if they run linux, don't use
>    u-boot), I see quite a bit of reluctance to merge those patches.
>    Furthermore, I have zero clue if there still is any living person
>    out there who is trying to run u-boot on a s3c2400, and we

The trab board (with a S3C2400 CPU) is still in production. But there
we use an old U-Boot version (1.1.4) and I see no need to ever update
to a newer version (the board is running stable for some years now).

>    certainly have no way of testing whether the new code breaks any
>    of the old code.  It has actually come to a point where I'd

I would not raise any objections, if the trab board will not be
supported by future U-Boot versions. I can't speak for other S3C2400
boards, but AFAIK the production of the S3C2400 has been discontinued.

Berst Regards,
Martin Krause