[U-Boot-Users] Revised custodian git writeup

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 22 09:55:33 CET 2008

Hello,

in message <47954A7D.4070507 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> I've rewritten the "Tips for maintaining custodian trees" section to
> reflect Wolfgang's request that the "master" branch be used for patches
> for him to pull.
>
> Conceptually, this is very different from my previous recommendation /
> methodology writeup.  In practice, however, it is a trivial change.  The
> fundamental difference is to create a separate branch ("uboot") to track
> the master repo and rebase the "master" branch against that, instead of
> vice versa.

Rebasing the master branch, i. e. the one I'll be pullung from?

Are you sure that is a good idea? Note that I (and probably others)
will be pulling from that branch, and not only once!

Quote from the git-rebase man page:

NOTES
       When you rebase a branch, you are changing its history in a
       way that will cause problems for anyone who already has a copy
       of the branch in their repository and tries to pull updates
       from you. You should understand the implications of using git
       ^^^^^^^^^
       rebase on a repository that you share.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
e-credibility: the non-guaranteeable likelihood that  the  electronic
data you're seeing is genuine rather than somebody's made-up crap.
- Karl Lehenbauer