[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot version string in kernel/userspace

Andreas Schweigstill andreas at schweigstill.de
Tue Jan 22 12:53:59 CET 2008

Hello!

Gregoire Banderet schrieb:
> Waht's the best way to get the U-Boot version string (the one returned
> by U-Boot cmd "version") from userspace?
> Arg passed to the kernel?
> U-Boot env variables and use fw_getenv?

fw_getenv works fine for userspace programs. But I find it quite usefull
to forward U-Boot configuration parameters to Linux kernel space via
ATAGs, especially regarding different hardware versions and vice versa.
Accessing the data which has been provided by ATAGs can be very fast
because the ATAG data can be copied to global structures which can be
accessed by the kernel and also be kernel modules. Typical applications
are information about slightly different hardware versions, like GPIO
mapping or polarity.

With best regards
Andreas

--