[U-Boot-Users] Revised custodian git writeup

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 22 15:10:28 CET 2008

In message <4795F495.70101 at ge.com> you wrote:

> I'm sure that is how Wolfgang pulls subrepos to - not directly, but into
> a testing branch and then, if it is OK, into the main u-boot.git repo.

Not exactly - insteadof or ratherin addition to brnaches I also use
several copies of repositories which I can throw away if needed.

In one such copy I follow all custodian repos using  remote  tracking
branches.  This  is  also  used  to  pull from such a remote tracking
branch if I'm ordered to pull from a custodian's repo. If this causes
problems, I'll shout on the ML and either clean up or even throw away
the whole repo. If it works, I'll pull  this  repo  into  the  mailin
repo.

The reason for using additional copies of repos  instead  of  branche
scomes  from  the fact that (1) I used to use cogito for a long time,
which handled branches differently, and (2) I have seen a  copule  of
situations (with earlier versions of git and cogito) that corrupted a
repository  such  that  I was not able to repair it. So I try to make
sure I can always throw away everything...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Pig: An animal (Porcus omnivorous) closely allied to the  human  race
by  the splendor and vivacity of its appetite, which, however, is in-
ferior in scope, for it balks at pig.                - Ambrose Bierce