[U-Boot-Users] Doubt on standalone applications license

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 22 21:20:03 CET 2008

In message <20080122164833.GA8123 at enneenne.com> you wrote:

> reading here:
>
>    http://osdir.com/ml/boot-loaders.u-boot/2003-11/msg00074.html

Please read the COPYING file!

> I understand that is not required that standalone applications must be
> under GPL, but what happens if such applications call some u-boot's
> functions like printf(), for instance?

If you do as the COPYING file states: "use U-Boot services  by  means
of  the jump table provided by U-Boot exactly for this purpose", then
you're clean. If you link against U-Boot code, you're under GPL.

> I suppose that a non-GPLed application cannot call any GPLed u-boot's
> functions, is that right?

No.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Death, when unnecessary, is a tragic thing.
	-- Flint, "Requiem for Methuselah", stardate 5843.7