[U-Boot-Users] Revised custodian git writeup

gvb.uboot gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 04:15:00 CET 2008

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <4796726E.9030501 at ge.com> you wrote:

[snip]

>> I'm not sure what happens (how git handles it) if patches are applied in
>> different orders.  What I'm thinking about is if custodians #1 and #2
>
> git has no notation of order or sequence. It is storing content only.
> If you apply  N  independent,  non-overlapping  patches  in  arbitray
> order,  the result will be the same. The individual commits will have
> different ID's, but who cares?
>
>> both issue a pull request.  Wolfgang pulls #1 and then #2.  What happens
>> to #2 when he does a merge with the master u-boot.git?  Does git insert
>> custodian #1 patches ahead of his existing (#2) patches, or do the
>> patches end up in a different order in the repos?
>
> It doesn't matter as long as there are no conflicts.

I haven't played with git to see what it does with patches in different
orders, but I'm not happy if my history doesn't match your history, it
makes it tremendously harder to do comparisons of a custodian vs. the
master repo.  If the two are the same, not a big deal.  If I need to
figure out why they are different... OUCH.

>> Then there is the merge conflict, which will be a result of the order
>> that Wolfgang pulls from the custodian repos.  How does a custodian
>> resolve a merge conflict without changing his branch's history?
>
> That's a good point. I have to think about that one...

OK, I probably should confess that that was mostly a strawman.

>> (going home to soak my brain in ethanol)
>
> The brain or the liver?

The brain, the liver is unfortunate collateral damage.  Wish I could
change history on that!  ;-)

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Best regards,