[U-Boot-Users] [patch] add support for "eeprom info"

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 24 01:44:22 CET 2008

In message <200801231729.18316.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> the semantics are irrelevant.  it's an external non-volatile memory device
> accessed via the eeprom command.  the document you posted looks like that
> device doesnt have any way of querying it, so eeprom_info() for that device

Indeed. There is no way to query such devices.

> would be useless.  if this is normal among i2c eeproms, i'll repost the patch

Thsi is normal for basicly *all* EEPROM and FRAM devices I know with
I2C or SPI interfaces.

> with eeprom_info behind CONFIG_SPI.  most SPI flashes nowadays support the
> jedec id command which allows for dynamic detection (which is how the
> Blackfin SPI driver that i wrote works).  hook up any SPI flash and it "jus> t
> works".

I think you are doing something wrong when you try to use "eeprom" to
access "SPI flash" - these are differnt entities...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I find this a nice feature but it is not according to  the  documen-
tation. Or is it a BUG?"   "Let's call it an accidental feature. :-)"
                       - Larry Wall in <6909 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>