[U-Boot-Users] framebuffer drivers without modesetting support?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Jul 6 18:43:21 CEST 2008

Hi!

I was wondering if u-boot would also accept the merge of a framebuffer
driver that doesn't allow runtime mode-setting.

The reason is not that I'm generally too lazy - but much more the fact
that most embedded devices with LCM + LCM controller only support one,
maybe a really small number of fixed resolutions.

Wouldn't it be sufficient for the board-level config to specify e.g. a
callback function to do the low-level timing configuration of the video
controller?  This way there could still be a shared framebuffer driver,
and any board+fb_driver combination would work.  Only the theoretical
case of connecting a different display would not be supported... but
that doesn't really happen in the handheld embedded device world (think
of smartphones, portable media players, navigation devices, ...)

Even inside the Linux kernel e.g. the s3c2410 framebuffer is configured
by board-specific platform data.

Also, there are many LCM controller parameters that don't fit into the
classical modeline from the CRT world.  I'm having a hard time imagining
how those parameters should be passed around...

What do you think?

Cheers,
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)