[U-Boot-Users] Request: s3c24xx getting its own start.S file ?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Jul 6 18:47:21 CEST 2008

Hi!

I'm spending the better part of this day to finally put quite a number
of the s3c24xx related patches from my various trees into the s3c24xx
custodian tree.

Merging the code in start.S is particularly cumbersome, since this file
has already exceeded any reasonable number of #ifdef/endif clauses[1] and
even while looking long and hard at it, I simply cannot make reasonably
sure that I don't break non-s3c codepaths.

This will get significantly worse when I start to add code for s3c2440,
s3c2442, s3c2443 and maybe even 2412, 24a0, 2460 and/or others.  They
all have their subtle differences in low-level initialization, and they
all support various booting modes (NOR, NAND, OneNAND, ...).

I know code duplication is really bad.  But then, having unreadable code
that even experienced developers have a hard time understanding is also
not the best choice.

What are your thoughts on this?

[1] = http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-s3c24xx.git;a=blob;f=cpu/arm920t/start.S;h=3c542d43fb2a2907bd6043c99e5f071dde29844b;hb=HEAD
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)