[U-Boot-Users] PHY lib

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 20:53:17 CEST 2008

Hi Michal,

Michal Simek wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>

>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> Michal Simek wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ben and others,
>>>
>>> do you have any plan to start with PHY libs?
>>> I saw to tsec driver - there are some phy description.
>>> I would like to use phy description for one eth driver which I do.
>>>

>> I'm finally finding time to work on refactoring U-boot's networking
>> support, one of the parts of which is a proper PHY library.  For several
>> reasons, it pulls a lot from the TSEC driver.  Cutting and pasting the
>> PHY descriptions from TSEC is probably a good idea (in as much as
>> cutting and pasting is a good idea :)).
>>

> That's great. What next changes do you plan?
> Thanks for information.

So many things...  Here are what I see as the low-hanging fruit:

1. Move all ethernet initializations into
cpu_eth_init()/board_eth_init().  You can see this is underway.
2. Get rid of the CONFIG_NET_MULTI option.  The trick here is to keep
the code size of single-controller boards as small as possible.
3. PHY library.

With these implemented, I think we can start to look at more interesting
problems.  Feel free to brainstorm here!

regards,
Ben