[U-Boot-Users] Support for the ML507

Michal Simek Monstr at seznam.cz
Thu Jul 10 21:14:25 CEST 2008

Hi,
>Hello again:

>  I have adapted the Xilinx drivers just because there were other
>examples of that behaviour on the u-boot code
>(board/xilinx/xilinx_enet, board/xilinx/xilinx_iic and
>board/xilinx/common) for the xilinx drivers.

This style is deprecated. xilinx_enet is emaclite(drivers/net/xilinx_emac.c) driver which I rewrite some month ago.
IIC driver is easy to rewrite. You used bad example.

>  About redesigning the drivers from scratch.... Maybe is not a good
>idea on FPGA soft cores. This devices made of hardware/software change
>very frequently (even twice per year) and if we develop a driver from
>scratch, it will be very hard to mantain. On the other hand, if we use
>the "generic drivers" we just need to change them when the devices are
>upgraded.

Almost all IP cores are backward compatible. I developed for Microblaze cpu MLD(TCL) which
helps you with changes in your design. You can do the same thing. Bsp is available at git.monstr.eu. Patches are welcomed.

>  Maybe an option will be just not give support to FPGAs boards...,
>but they are used by a lot of people (students and companies). We can
>have the risk that if we do not give support to that boards, the FPGAs
>manufacturers will create a fork and take full control of the u-boot
>roadmap (more money and resources).

Of course you can add support for generic board or for small amount of board in generic style.
Look at ml401 and xupv2p for microblaze. It is not to hard to add support for xilinx fpga board but
you have to do it correctly. I see a space for adding one generic board with ppc440 which will be sufficient
for others.

>  I have tried to follow the coding guidelines for all the files I
>have created from scratch, but not for the drivers by xilinx.

If you want to help with handling of xilinx board, you can contact me.

Michal Simek

--
Ricardo Ribalda
http://www.eps.uam.es/~rribalda/