[U-Boot-Users] PATCH for U-Boot 1.3.3 DHCP fails with netgearWGR614v6

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 00:05:55 CEST 2008

Hi Robin,

Robin Getz wrote:
> On Fri 11 Jul 2008 14:21, Ben Warren pondered:
>
>> Robin Getz wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>

>> This seems goofy.  Have you tried your fix with other DHCP servers to
>> verify that it works?  If so, which ones?  I unfortunately can't try
>> anything right now but will play around a bit tonight.
>>

> Some other random netgears that I have in my home, plus whatever is attached
> to our corp network - it works on them all (but on those it worked before as
> well).
>
> -Robin
While your fix works, wouldn't it be more correct to remove the call to
BootpCopyNetParams() on line 927?  My understanding of the purpose of
the DHCPDISCOVER state is for determining if there are reachable DHCP
servers, not for actually acquiring an address.  I'm a bit wary because
I don't know why that call was put there in the first place.  I guess in
theory you could short-circuit the DHCPREQUEST state, but the code
doesn't do that.

thanks,
Ben