[U-Boot-Users] Freescale MPC8349EMDS hang on boot

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Fri Jul 18 21:57:56 CEST 2008

Ira Snyder wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:17:48PM -0400, Jerry Van Baren wrote:
>>> I checked include/configs/MPC8349EMDS.h and didn't find any obvious
>>> config options for disabling the cache.
>>>
>>> The hang happens before the relocation to RAM. The "I2C:" line where it
>>> hangs is printed before the relocation. There are "SPI:" and "DRAM:"
>>> lines that should also be printed before the relocation to RAM.
>> I2C is used to read the SPD configuration off the memory DIMM.
>> Interesting, but I'm not sure what it is telling us...
>>

> Yep. Note that there is an access to the BCSR registers that I added.
> Removing the access makes the problem go away, even with the .data
> section 32 byte aligned. There shouldn't be any problem reading the
> BCSR registers, though.
>
> What I'm getting at is maybe it is neither of these that is the real
> problem, it could just be that the BCSR access plus the alignment of the
> .data section triggers the real problem, whatever it may be.

Hmmm, interesting point: reading the BCSR is implicated.  Are you sure
that reading the BCSR is safe *at this point in time*?  Have you
confirmed CS1 is configured this early in the boot sequence?

[snip]

>> What is your build host running (OS, distribution)?  Any chance of doing
>> a clean OS and ELDK installation on a different machine?
>>

> I'm running Ubuntu Hardy. My test machine here has a completely clean,
> not updated installation of Hardy on it as well, I could try installing
> and building with that. I also have access to a CentOS 4 machine that I
> could install ELDK-4.2 onto. It has ELDK-4.1 already installed. I'll try
> ELDK-4.2 on the CentOS machine as soon as the install media is finished
> downloading, which will take a while. It might be Monday before I have a
> chance to get back to you with the results.

That is so low a probability that I wouldn't bother unless I were really
desperate.

> Thanks again,
> Ira

Have a good weekend,