[U-Boot-Users] question of "flattened device tree"

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 15:59:34 CEST 2008

xiangguo_li at hotmail.com wrote:
> hello,
>
> under U-Boot, some board configuration files contain "flattened device
> tree"
> elements, such as "OF_CPU", "OF_STDOUT_PATH", etc. while in booting
> Linux, a
> separate file dtb is used.
>
> if both are used, what's the relationship about them?
>
> thanks.
>
> -lxg

Processor and board are???

I believe your question is indicating that you are using an older
version of u-boot with "CONFIG_OF_FLAT_TREE" defined.  This has been
deprecated and has been removed in the latest u-boot.  The current code
no longer defines or uses "OF_CPU", "OF_STDOUT_PATH", etc.

Please update your u-boot and switch to using CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT and dts
files from a recent version of the linux kernel source (or edit your dts
file to pick up the improvements shown in the linux version).

Don't forget to include an /aliases node pointing to the proper hardware
configurations.  The u-boot code now uses that to find the fdt pieces
for its fixups rather than "OF_CPU", "OF_STDOUT_PATH", etc.

Best regards,
gvb