[U-Boot-Users] Acknowledging the use of U-boot in an embedded project

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 21 14:39:57 CEST 2008

In message <9AC9C5704119E242A526FB4D9DD5D565759C45 at mail.inea.com> you wrote:

> I've just become involved in a project which is using U-boot as the
> bootloader. This is a smallish embedded system. I'm trying to find the
> right way to handle the use of U-boot. What sort of acknowledgements,
> source code availability, etc. are expected here.

U-Boot is Free Software under GPL, so you just have to make  sure  to
follow the GPL license requiements. No further acknowledgementes etc.
are needed. Of course it is always a clever idea to push your changes
upstream  so  your  port  gets  maintained and you have a much easier
patch in case you ever want  to  update  U-Boot  to  a  more  current
version.

> U-boot isn't ever visible to the user; the system boots up and launches
> the application. There is a small LCD screen; and really nowhere to
> display much. Minor changes have been made to the U-boot source; to
> customize it for the hardware and the software download of new firmware.

Well, please read the GPL.  At  least  you  must  include  with  your
product  a  statement  that  you are using GPL software and a written
offer (valid for at least 3 years) to  provide  the  complete  source
code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple,  neat,
and wrong.                                               - Mark Twain