[U-Boot-Users] RFQ: disable flash writes until after relocation?

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 21 19:46:19 CEST 2008

Hi Timur,

> I'm working on a patch that blocks i2c_init() from writing to
> global variables before relocation has occurred.  But if
> you're saying that this patch should not be necessary,
> then that would be better.

The I2C patch is necessary.

Whatever was written to i2c_bus_speed[0] was never actually
written, since the write occurs to flash before relocation,
so whatever the intent of the write was, needs to be fixed.

Wolfgang did not like the idea of adding code to disable
writes to flash at the processor-level before relocation.
This has the unfortunate side-effect of masking errors
such as the one your code added.

Please don't feel bad about this discussion, bugs happen :)

Cheers,
Dave