[U-Boot-Users] RFQ: disable flash writes until after relocation?

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 21 20:45:55 CEST 2008

Hi Jerry,

> One really good trick is how to hook a logic analyzer to those
> itty-bitty balls on the processor.  Back when I was a boy, processors
> had 40 legs and no balls.  :-D  You must have a board with a logic
> analyzer connector.

Thankfully the Freescale MDS boards do have logic
analyzer headers on their boards.

My custom boards have 5000+ BGA balls ....

http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/carma_board/

so I made sure to hang a few logic analyzer connectors on
that too :)

One interesting thing that came out of the board development
is that the PowerPC processor was RoHS, while the FPGAs were
not. The assembly company stripped the RoHS balls off the
PowerPC, reballed them non-RoHS, and then assembled the boards.
The boards were then X-rayed with what amounts to a CT scanner,
and each ball shape was observed at the bottom, middle, and top
to ensure that they all looked nice and pretty.

Amazing stuff :)

Cheers,
Dave