[U-Boot-Users] u-boot.bin

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Wed Jul 23 21:00:25 CEST 2008

Fundu wrote:
>> Please bottom post.
> will do.
>
>> Run "${CROSS_COMPILE}strip -s u-boot
>> -o=u-boot.strip" and you will see
>> that u-boot.strip is approximately the same size as
>> u-boot.bin.  NOTE: I
>> would *NOT* recommend stripping the ELF file unless you
>> have a real need to do so.
> that make it much clear thx. is the stripped out file of any use ? it won't work with gdb ? so then under what situation would you want to strip.
>
> TIA.

The two reasons I can think of for stripping elf files...
1) Make it smaller if you have to transport it on/over a size sensitive
medium (floppy, modem).  Maybe also to cram more on a limited size
embedded file system.

2) Most proprietary packages strip their packages to try to prevent
their "valuable intellectual property" from leaking out.  (This has
limited real value, but PHBs think it is a very valuable thing to do.)

To reiterate, there is almost no reason to strip elf files.

Best regards,
gvb