[U-Boot-Users] Need Some Help

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 24 05:18:26 CEST 2008

In message <7F4C091727699947ACBAB0410268C5D92B2FDB at VS11.EXCHPROD.USA.NET> you wrote:

> My latest endaevor has me cross compiling a stand alone application for
> MPC8548 PPC for a U-Boot Based target.  There is no Operating System to
> run on the target to speak of, just my application.  I'm building the
> application in Code Warrior using an 8548_init.S hardware intialization
> file.

What has this file to do with U-Boot? Nothing! Forget about it.

> 1) My first thought was that this should be as simple as using the .ELF
> image that codewarrior produces, right?  So I build a simple hello_world

I have no idea what CW produces. You should use the U-Boot Makefile
and linker scripts.

> application and sent it down to my target.  U-Boot recognizes it as an
> ELF image, sets up the segements, and tries to run it!  But then low and

Who says so?

> behold, the U-Boot flash image comes up again.

That's to be expected.

Guess it's time for you to start reading the fine manual, especially
the section about standalone applications.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is impractical for  the  standard  to  attempt  to  constrain  the
behavior  of code that does not obey the constraints of the standard.
                                                          - Doug Gwyn