[U-Boot-Users] Changing u-boot relocation scheme

vb vb at vsbe.com
Thu Jul 24 20:26:06 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Kenneth Johansson
<kenneth at southpole.se> wrote:

> I have run u-boot with everything compiled with -mrelocatable and normal
> relocation fixup code removed so I know it works fine. So consider it
> proven. But since it apparently is a problem in some situation the best
> is probably to make it a configuration option.
>

>From what I saw in my limited experiment, there is no code (as in CPU
instructions) generated by gcc, just a data section containing
offsets.

Maybe the linker is supposed to add some code to the startup file to
handle that section in case it is invoked with -mrelocatable (on't
know if it would recognize this an option) or detects .fixup section
in the .o files being linked. It is a mute point for embedded
development anyways.

I *think* the only thing missing is a simple function to scan the
.fixup table and fix the pointers after relocation.

cheers,
/vb